Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Stay Calm during a Jam

Imagine that I am in the middle of traffic jam. Need to arrive in my destination in one hour. There is a very-very important meeting with VIPs. How could I still manage my spirit to remain calm? I don't know if I will arrive exactly on time or late. I don't know. The only thing I can do now, is to sit, relax, enjoy my traffic jam!

I think you agree that it is very difficult to stay calm during the traffic jam. Especially when I don't prepare to face this tricky situation. I might a non-stop complainer. I must curse and blame every bits of the situation. Or, worse, I could be paralyzed, stunned with the situation and cannot move. If I speak to the driver in front of me, they must have different reaction. I choose to pick the positive manner.

First, try to be calm. No talk, even my mind-talk. Stop all this worries and be quiet.

Second, look at the surrounding. Everybody experience the same thing. They also trap in the jam. 


Third, improve your breathing. Take a deep breath and exhale few times.

Fourth, create a win-win solution. It won't help to complain or even to think ill about this traffic jam. Take a positive side of this situation by being more productive or gaining new knowledge. Continue to read a book, listen to favorite play, or even take a personal mind-game to kill the time.

Fifth, since I'm driving, I try to focus on other interesting things. Pray at heart. Create a scenario how to solve something. Think about some strategies I need to do to elevate my career next year. Plan a garden. Say to myself that I'll be alright, will arrive at the meeting room on time, and things will fall into place, eventually. 

Sixth, when I'm tired on being positive, just... think how lucky I am in this situation. The traffic jam might be annoying, but when are you going to get a chance to train mindfulness if you're not alone? I am pretty like a busy bee, flying around and coping with many challenges. Once in a while, a different path help me to know and discipline my inner strength, especially when this situation is totally different from the usual path. This is a truly escape from my routine. An adventure.

Once I think positively about this jam while trying to eliminate complaining and whining, why do I feel more energized now?

Pekanbaru,