Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Secret Pond


Wood ducks
When I need a break from work nowadays, I'm dreaming of my secret sanctuary, a small pond in front of Curtin University campus, Bentley. I used to get walk around it after a hard and long writing session. That walk is just to clear my mind and to observe many beautiful creatures in the surrounding pond.

We did not know exactly when the pond exists. It was like a dream. There was no water during harsh summer days. Soil get crack and dirty water could be seen at the bottom of shallow pond. After a very wet winter came and poured lots of water from the sky almost everyday, suddenly we could see the water filled the pond. Suddenly, life has a new meaning to the small lake.

Few years ago, when I visited it for a first time, the trees were blooming with their yellow flowers. Wild spring flowers made a virtual flower fence at the edge of the pond. Groups of water lilies also filled the pond with their yellow flowers. Green water grass grew on one side of the pond. And the best thing was, the wetland birds, swamphen, and ducks came to live with their groups at the pond.

Spring flowers
Although it was only small pond, I always come to visit the pond every spring. However, it was hard to see the flowers and waterlilies again lately. The ducks were still came to live at the pond. Luckily, I spotted Wood ducks with its six small ducks swam to a safe place to avoid me. 

Swamphen
The purple swamphen was still single and looked stiff. It didn’t fly or run when I approached it to say hello. It was busy to find bugs in the shallow water. 
But those two cheeky white-faced divers (Australian Coot) scared me to death with their loud trumpeting calls. 

The campus was beautifully reflected on the pond's surface at the daylight.

What a beautiful small pond that gives a peace and serenity to my soul.
Curtin University Campus

Subhanallah.

Pekanbaru


No comments: