Sunday, April 21, 2013

Simple Banana Pancake (for dessert)

My parents have a banana orchard in their backyard. It is really a queer hobby to me. There are many types of banana grow there. I cannot call how many varieties of banana in the yard, but we taste quite many types, such as pisang kepok (saba/cooking banana), pisang manis (apple banana), pisang Ambon (Ambon banana), pisang Sarawak (Sarawak banana), pisang telunjuk (lady finger banana), and pisang nangka (jackfruit banana), depends on the season. I don't have any particular favorite, but pisang kepok is always suit me well.

Actually my German and Australian friends think I'm very lucky because we own the banana orchard. I knew what they've been thinking. They must think we grow the Cavendish (yellow) banana, which is considered expensive ($5 per kg, not in season in the UK/Australia). In fact, I'm more fortunate in term of other banana varieties:)

By the way, as the result of harvesting two or three bunches of banana per month, we never out of stock of this sweet fruit at home. Sometimes, I got the overripe bananas in the fridge, which are not appealing to eat but cannot be wasted. So, after trying this 'banana creamy ice cream' recipe, I got an idea to make the overripe banana more useful. 

This could be a simple banana pancake. How to make the pancake:

  • Peel the banana first (3 banana)
  • Crush them, to make banana puree
  • Add two tablespoonful of wheat flour into the puree
  • Add another tablespoonful of corn flour, just skip this when you don't have any at home
  • Add an egg
  • A pinch of salt
  • Mix all ingredients well
  • Heat the teflon pan, give a little bit oil, use low heat
  • Put the mixture in the pan, spread the mix and remember to maintain the thickness (0.5cm)
  • Let the bottom side of pancake turns brown and upper side becomes dry
  • Roll the pancake slowly, slowly, slowly, make sure not to mess it up
  • Serve and garnish it with chocolate bar or cheese.
I think this dessert works well with vanilla or mango ice cream.

Pekanbaru,


No comments: