Saturday, March 15, 2014

Choking Haze Season

It's been a month since the first haze blanketed our city. I was truly worried because the haze keep getting worse and worse almost everyday. It is also a very dry month. The rain has stopped falling. 

Everywhere looks terrifying. The ketapang trees seemed like autumn trees with many falling leaves on the ground. While the haze gave an extraordinary mysterious background, I didn't feel quite certain about their beauty. No beauty at all under this smelly haze, when we cannot breath easily.

Light haze near my house.

We were instructed to stay home by the university executive last week. Sadly, I still need to travel to the uni under the thick white smoke to finish our last-minute-accomplished task. The air was terrible like there was a big blaze somewhere. We, literally, cannot breath and see things easily. 

On the next day. 
I gave up. For the first time in this month, I bought a breathing mask. 

The air was unbearable and the visibility was very poor. Cannot help myself to curse the arsonists and the arsonist corporation that did all this mess. Who can't help to breath, work or think under this stressful unhealthy air? Our health are completely ruined.

To be honest, I think the law enforcement is the only key. Talking or threatening those arsonists won't give them any lesson to be learned. A strict law enforcement must be applied for those who deliberately burn the peat land for commercial purposes. The corporates must carefully study the environmental impact and the produced carbon emission of clearing land by burning them. They must use their brains and hearts properly.

I'm pretty blessed, that while I'm writing this post, the rain starts falling again in Pekanbaru. I

Hope it will be a big pouring of water tonight, so tomorrow we can get the fresh air again.

Pekanbaru,

No comments: