Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Importance of Preparation (Lesson Learned from my PhD study)


I've realised how preparation could make differences in our big dream.


Before I came into my PhD study, I did some research to know exactly the expectations of being a PhD scholar. PhD study certainly needs a set of research skills such as critical thinking, effective reading, and scientific writing. However, I've been encountered some words related to non-research skills, namely 'bravery, resourcefulness, perseverance and endurance, grit', etc, during the study. Hence, those words became the keywords of my PhD stages.

I could  put those words in order like this:
Before applying the PhD: 'bravery'
First year of PhD: 'resourcefulness'
Second year and third year of PhD: 'perseverance'
Final year of PhD: 'endurance' 


I could describe them shortly according to their definition:
       bravery (n): brave spirit, courage
       resourcefulness (n): ability and creativity to cope with difficulties
       perseverance (n): steady persistence in a course of action, especially in spite of  
                                    difficulties, obstacles and encouragement
      endurance (n): the ability to or strength to continue at last, especially despite fatigue, 
                              stress or other adverse condition/stamina.   



I learned that doing a PhD is not only to gain a degree but also kind of a 'heroic journey' in my life. It must involve a strong heart and mind to win the 'battle'. I just could suggest you read 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho to understand the philosophy of a 'heroic journey'. I've been inspired by the story til I could describe my PhD stages in four words.

Anyway, an important journey needs good preparation. You cannot just jump into the battle without good strategies. This what I meant by preparation. You must learn and make a plan to face some challenging events during the 'battle'. There is no straight way to overcome it. It is always full of fear, hope and relief. Or, otherwise, it is going to be a 'cheap' battle, because we could easily conquer it.

What I did during my PhD a few years ago, was not just to interview my lecturers, Professors, friends, or senior colleagues, but I also attended many workshops on how to do PhD, and consulted many books on 'How to get a PhD'. There are many books that can help us to understand the nature of the PhD study. It is a long term under pressure situation with one final goal: a thesis submission. Hence, the interviews, workshops, and books were very useful to help me in designing some strategies to reduce my stress. I didn't want to face the challenge without knowing what to fight for. Although it was a difficult and stressful journey, I was glad I have overcome it eventually. 

It feels wonderful to know that you've been worked so hard to achieve it.

Well, just to remind us, that success is described as 'when the opportunity favours only the prepared mind'. Again, we could see that the word 'preparation is very important'.

Pekanbaru,

No comments: