Thursday, March 19, 2015

Blogging as a productive way of procrastination

I guess my habit of writing a post in this blog has been replaced by another routine. I really miss my old routine of sharing things here to procrastinate writing process of a scientific paper. It is just a back and forth habit to ease my flow of thinking. Sometimes we need to be logic to put data in their own 'story', and on the other hand we allow our creative thinking on blogging. It works well with me on that way.

Instead of putting emotional effort such as guilty of not making any significant progress, we need to be more tactical from returning to the procrastination stage. I used my blog as a source of freedom in writing everything. It is true that I would be more productive on producing posts here when I'm working on my papers, because there is always a reason to procrastinate on the scientific writing process. Perhaps, it's just the way I accommodate my creative attempt or just want to give a reward after such a long and tiring writing process.

However, there are some benefits of doing this:

a) Helping me to organize my thoughts. As a creative person, I used to have many ideas. I make a list of them in my writing ideas book, just focus on some, and pour them in my blogs.

b) Developing my writing skills. This is the way I learn to write, by working on my ideas in a blog. It takes a while for me to learn to summarize thing and give my personal thought in a writing. With time, I could manage to summarize many papers into a nice set of literature review paragraphs, just by doing it as the way I do it in blogging.

c) Increasing my productivity. Since I've given some of my time to write in this blog, I did compensate some time to work on the paper. It is always a balance and not over-prioritized on blogging, which is easier to be finished. Once I finish one post, I feel very motivated to continue another paragraph in the scientific paper. 

Pekanbaru,
Inspired by this post: How to procrastinate efficiently (if you cannot stop)

No comments: