Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lilly Pilly



Speak of this fruit in the photo; it brings out a good memory of summer in Perth. Summer is not complete without stone fruits like plums, peaches, grapes, etc. But, summer is also my favourite time for another type of bush fruit, named ‘lilly pilly’ or Australian cherries.

This fruit has a sweet flesh and taste like ‘jambu’ in Indonesia. Early settlers used lilly pilly as jams, jellies and summer drinks. But this must be a hard work. I couldn’t think how we could efficiently remove the little beardy bits inside. Lilly pilly is very small, the diameter is less than 1cm! In case you want to give a try, check here on how to make lilly pilly’s jam and jelly.

I’ve been insulted by hubby and sister for my craving of this fruit. They helped me tough, to get lilly pilly from the trees, but they still laughed at me. They consider that it was embarrassing to pick those lilly pilly from abandoned trees and acted like never eat a decent thing before. However, well, I never stop to tease them with the lilly pilly saga every summer!

I’m thinking about this purple lilly pilly. When I will get a chance to taste it?

Pekanbaru,

No comments: